Sunday, August 28, 2005

Marky the Sportsman

I'm tired. Sports takes it out of you, it really does. Or this could be a sign of my age - I mean I have to stretch before I play sports, otherwise my muscles will clamp up like a sponge under a waterfall. So anyway, what have I done this weekend? Sports, sports, sports.

Saturday, cricket training. Sunday, tennis and soccer. Thesis work = 0. Lets have a breakdown on my performance across the three sports. Time to put my critical assessment hat on.

Cricket - Fielding looks good. No simple catches dropped and i 've managed to snare a couple of the diving catches. Bowling: patchy start, it takes some time for me to get the line and length right and I occasionaly spray the ball all over the shop - needs work, but i'm not a bowler... so it doesn't really matter. Batting: i'm playing alot straighter in the practice sessions and this is an encouraging sign - i should be able to last at least a couple of overs this season. (Note: Season starts in 2 weeks, so watch the stats and analysis come streaming through shortly)

Tennis - oh boy, my skills have regressed a fair bit. I've got no backhand and my forehand is far from flat. High bouncing loopy balls are all that I seem capable of. One consolation, when I go for the slog it occasionally lands in the right spot.

Soccer - fitness is ok. Played for over an hour and I was still making the sprints through the defensive line. Dribbling is ok, defending is solid, and shot accuracy is adequate. I guess soccer is the flagship sport for Mark at present.

1 comment:

Marky said...

lol snippy. You were jealous of the A-League skills that Bao, Dali, Hugo and I showed on Sunday. I mean we had the moves 'Like a knife through butter' and 'The Thousand Cuts', and u guys had no counter :).