Sunday, July 04, 2010

Blogging Series 3 - Preparing for the United Kingdom

Well, well, well. It looks like the blog is getting it's third series - and this one may be hanging around for a while. I seriously thought that this blog was dead, but it looks like it's still surviving somehow. Go figure! So two themes for this post today - bringing back the blog, and a few notes on preparing to head off to the UK. Woo!

As many of you out there are already aware, i'm off to the UK for work. Very exciting, and very unexpected... and also the reason behind me metaphorically picking up the pen once more. Now, I intended to head offshore to tick the "Worked Overseas" box, but I didn't intend for it to happen so soon. An opportunity came up, and in the end I decided that it was a reasonably good time to head off. Upon speaking to some of you good folk, I was reminded that I used to blog - props to those who actually tormented themselves with my ramblings. So here we go with Season 3 of my stochastic blogging!

A brief summary on how this all came about. I was notified of an opportunity late last month to work in the UK, and a verbal agreement was settled a week after that. So things have really moved along quite quickly. Speed is the name of the game here, as i'm really only expected to be in the country for another 5 weeks or so - plenty to do! I don't think i'm setting the world on fire with the pace in which I need to pack up and go, but the time between being asked to go and actually going is quick by any measure.

As i'm expected to scoot out of here in approximately a month's time, there's plenty to do! Now, i've started the visa process already - and that's expected to take approximately a month all up. The process for getting a UK visa is slighly different depending on the type of visa that you're applying for, but all of them follow the same general theme - online application, recording of biometric data, issue of visa. I'm up to the biometric data stage, where the Brits take a copy of your fingerprins - and that's scheduled for tomorrow.

Now the visa's not the only thing that needs to be sorted out. There's an ever growing list of things to sort out before heading off! Things that i'll need to do over the next month will be things such as opening up an UK bank account, finding accomodation in London, packing a few boxes of things I need and shipping them off to the UK. Plenty! Clearly not really doing much on this front as i'm still blogging. Haha. Hmm... well on that note i'll leave it there. More updates to come, I promise!

No comments: