Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Royal Sydney and Flying Away

Two themes over the past couple of days in the lead-up to the weekend - with them being Golf and Travel. It looks like i'm well on my way to getting some of my New Years resolutions ticked off for the year! Things are looking up indeed (although I still haven't done my review on 2006... meh).

So lets talk about Golf. I didn't play golf, but watched golf. Sounds kind of weak, but it was a good day out! So how did this happen? Well Eva and Georgie managed to get some free tickets to the Australian Women's Golf tourney (Day 4) and so they invited me along (plus Matt). Now, i've only really gotten into Golfing recently, so I won't profess to know much about the personalities of Women's Golf. The only person that I knew off the top of my head was Carrie Webb, who won the tourney comprehensively.

It was a great day out, truly was. Out and about on a nice sunny day, not being terribly active, plus hanging out with friends - what more could you ask for on a weekend? The day wasn't without it's interesting moments. First story will have to be the Fisher and Paykel model.

A few minutes after walking into the grounds of the Royal Sydney we walked under the grandstand of the 18th Hole. As we walked past I noticed this extremely attractive young lady, and consequently almost walked straight into a bunch of people. She was holding a bottle of wine, and a white t-shirt with some advertising on it.

After watching Carrie Webb have a few practice putts in front of the big scoreboard we headed over to the company tents. Lo and behold the attractive young lady that I spotted was standing at the Fisher and Paykel company tent. We hovered for a little while and she called out to us "Do you want to win a dishwasher?". I stalled, but Eva and Georgie did not. I was promptly grabbed and Eva called out - "Sure! Mark wants to win one... don't you Mark?". Trapped - although I wasn't complaining.

To win a dishwasher we had to fill out a piece of paper with personal details and 25 words or less on why I think Fisher and Paykel's washing machine is worth having, or something like that. I was stuck, had no idea. Plus I kept being distracted by the model, who was hovering about. After a couple of minutes the 25 words were written for me - here is the extract:

I know nothing about washing machines but the girl at the booth is hot. PS: Call me!

Hillarious! We had to submit the entries into a glass case (one of those revolving things) and even more embarrasing for me is that mine was placed outward so all of the text could be read.
I don't know if the model saw what was written straight away, but unfortunately it's all in the past for me. That was the first adventure - I spent the next few minutes disappointed in not getting a photo with her. Prime opportunity. As we left, she said she'd call me if I won - suffice to say... I haven't been called. Aww...

The next most noteworthy part of the day was following a few golfers around. We really didn't know much about the players themselves so we started to watch some ladies that looked interesting. It didn't take us too long to stop by Sarah Kemp (Australian) and Marta Prieto (Spain - I think). Why was it interesting? Well I guess we were drawn to the fashionable gear that Marta was wearing - yellow hat, yellow top, and knee high yellow socks. Quite the outfit and hard to miss! I must say, it's quite a fashionable place this Women's Golf thing. Didn't realise... Golf has become that much more interesting!

This blog entry is dragging on a bit so i'll quickly mention travel. I'm locked in for a trip overseas and i'm heading up to the Land of the Rising Sun - Japan... for some skiing. Haha! I've got the e-tickets and i'm ready to go! I'll try and keep the blog updated as I hop around Honshu and Hokkaido! Note: i'm proud of myself for getting some yen at 93.17! woohoo!


I'm in a security buggy


Following Kemp and Prieto



I'm in this photo - to the left of the stairs!
(Source: http://www.iseekgolf.com/images/womensaustralianopen_2007/r4/source/webb_adp0219.htm)

No comments: