Monday, February 12, 2007

The Asakusa Grab - Day 2

The afternoon tour began (for those that were on the morning tour continuing onwards) in Ginza shortly after lunch had ended. The new tour guide's name was Reiko. The morning tour was one of enlightenment, however the funniest moment (and strangest) of the day was in the afternoon tour. This leads me to the first stop for the afternoon - the Asakusa Temple, a Buddhist temple.

To get to Asakusa shrine we had to catch a ferry. I don't quite remember the name of the wharf that we travelled to, however our destination was clear - Asakusa. The trip wasn't the shortest, 40 minutes, but it was quite the cruisy trip. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the announcements over the intercom, however it appeared to me that many of the bridges that we passed under are imitations of bridges that exist (or have existed) around the world. Odd, but whatever works.

We were greeted by a seriously packed temple after walking from the wharf. There were people everywhere! Dozens of tiny stalls lined the main walkway to the Temple building itself. True hustle and bustle style. After moving past the stalls Reiko stopped us and started to explain the story behind the temple and the pagoda, but the best part of the afternoon is to come.

On the way to the temple itself we came across a tiny little structure which had incense in it. I asked Reiko what this was for and she mentioned the incense smoke is meant to purify the body (wash away badness).

Classic moment here at the incense structure. As I was breathing in the incense and wafting the air around me a young Japanese couple caught my eye. They really only caught my eye because they were directly opposite me. I then started to observe their behaviour. The girl was closer to the incense and the boyfriend was close behind. He started to waft some incense her way and she breathed it in. Seemed like a fair enough thing to do. Next, something that I wouldn't have ever expected. The boyfriend stopped wafting incense and slowly moved his hand down and... grabbed her breast! Obviously, she gave him a playful slap and they walked away. Tell you what, it was hillarious to watch. As I said, classic moment. (Apologies if I have offended anyone).

On that note, i'll leave it there. Did end up going to Akibahara and Roppongi Hills as well as eat at a sushi/sashimi restaurant.




Ginza Shopping District



The Asakusa Grab




Roppongi Hills at Night

No comments: