Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My First Film Appearance

The week is only half over and events continue to startle me (as i'm sure they'll startle you). This morning I got invited by my boss to participate in a company movie. Wow. How cool is that? Lucky me... three weeks in and i've made it already. Haha!

Truthfully, the film isn't going to be shown externally but oh well. I'll take it. Strange, strange indeed. I'll start from the top, the beginning of the day.

I leave the house, as per usual and hop onto the ferry. I arrive at work just before a quarter past 8. As per usual the grads Nathan and Kylie are reading the newspapers by the kitchen and I say hi. I greet the early keen beans in my team and proceed to make some breakfast (I brought in ham, how good am I?). Unfortunately for me there is only some Raisin Bread around, urgh. So what do I do? I do what the truly entrepreneurial person does.... go to another floor and poach some whitebread!

Down I go to Jesse's floor (Usyd - Engineering) and steal some whitebread. I'm spotted by some other grads in the process but everyone has a laugh. Finally I get my ham sandwich and contently sit at my desk, ready to consume my crowning achievement of the day!

Doug pops by and asks me if i'm free between 11 and 12. Yep. Interesting question. Next up there's the leading description. One of the films doing the rounds is a bit on the old side and it's time for an update. Then the question: "Are you interested in being a part of the new one?". Yes again! Although I did try to look cool, calm, and collected about it. Haha!

Turns out that 3 people from my team may feature in this new film. Quite the hit rate, considering that there are thousands and thousands of people to choose from. But I digress, back to the story.

Fast forward to 11 and I head down to the shooting location. I meet a couple of people on the floor and also meet my co-star for the day. An Associate Director. Ouch. How insignificant I am, lol. Oh well, good opportunity to meet and greet power players at work. So what do we do? We confidently walk around the lobby area and have a chat. Pretty cool. It's not often that you get to chat to a senior person at length (and we got to chat a fair bit because there were many takes from different angles, etc). Even the CEO dropped by and said hello, haha! Interesting day indeed.

Also an interesting note: The most senior person on my floor was walking past my booth to the kitchen when I was having a chat with Pritpal (last year's grad on my team) and I mentioned that this (the area that we work in) is party central. A stray look was cast my way. Once he was gone Pritpal and I couldn't stop laughing. Funny day... funny day indeed.

Stay tuned to find out whether i'm in the final cut, or if the scene(s) that include me end up on the cutting room floor. Haha!

No comments: