Monday, September 26, 2005

Wallace and Gromit - Recommended

I managed to go out for once. Hooray for me. Can't spend all my time cooped up at home... so what did I do today? I used some free Greater Union tickets that I received in the mail and saw the movie Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

I must admit that i'm a bit of a Wallace and Gromit fan. The clay-based animation done by Aardvark (the company that does all the modelling and what not) is pure class. In typical Wallace and Gromit style the movie was quite entertaining and there were quite a few cute (yea, no other way to describe it) animations.

The funny bits in the movie can be seen in the trailer. One part where a giant female bunny is attached to Wallace and Gromit's car and Gromit, whilst in control of the giant bunny, conducts a bit of a cabaret dance. Another is in the church when the crowd asks Wallace how he is going to trap the were-rabbit, Wallace replies by saying "...with a big trap", then this old man proclaims "by Joe... I think he's got it!". Classic stuff. There were also some cute moments in the movie as well. The little bunny rabbits waving to eachother, now that's quality. You'll know what I mean when you see the movie. It's so cool.

Anyway, i'll fast forward to the evening - gym time. Decided to try out the "Body Attack" class that they were having there. I thought i'd give it a try... from the outside it didn't look so bad - a bunch of people running around and jumping all over the place. Oh dear... was I wrong. After the class I felt as though i've been the victim of an attack - someone's grabbed my legs and placed a portable vice on each of my calves. I was struggling and i'm not afraid to admit it. You may laugh at me, that's fine - but don't bag it until you've tried it. I've learnt my lesson. It was a good workout though, quite intense.

After the gym I ventured down to a cafe in the local area. Food was fairly decent, as was the service... but something really strange happened. After ordering and receiving the drinks we wanted to order. This dude in red was nearby so I looked over at him - usually that's enough, once a waiter sees that you're looking around then it's fairly obvious that it's ordering time. Nope. This derro just stared back. Fine. I put up my hand and give a half wave. Nope, still staring. At this point i'm thinking "what a dumbass". I tried again - charades style, I mimicked writing on a pad with my two hands. Nope, still staring. Once more with the charades, same thing. A reaction! The dude walks forward two steps and proceeds to outline a window with his arms.... WTF? At this point I saw a waitress walk past behind him and write something down at the counter - I pointed to the girl behind him, obviously indicating that I want the girl's attention. What does this n00b do? He draws the bloody window with his hands again. At this point I gave up called out "Excuse me" loudly, drawing the attention of the lady... this time all it took was one look.

Alas, the shenanigans don't end there. The intelligence of the staff really perplexed me. We ordered a couple of pizzas and the waitress wrote down the order, finishing off each entry with the letter P and surrounded by a circle - fair enough... represents pizza. So at the end of the meal I went to pay. "That'll be $8.50 thanks" (the price of the two drinks). I stood there a little confused, obviously I didn't maximise on my good luck. This dude (not the retard mentioned above) repeated again "$8.50". Something was obviously wrong so I asked him "are you sure?". He looked hard at the docket and then called over the girl that wrote down the order in the first place. This is the little conversation that they had:

Dude: "Hey, how much does this all cost"
Girl: "Add it all up"
Dude: "Including these?" (pointing to the pizza entries)
Girl: "Er... yes"
Dude: "Oh, ok. What does this P mean? I thought it meant 'paid'. "
Girl: "It means pizza, duh!"

LOL. Dumbass number two right there. I should stop being honest, could have saved myself some money.

Oh! Also, on the way home... a bit of luck - petrol @ 117.9 c/L. What a bargain!

No comments: