Monday, September 19, 2005

Bratty Kids, Victory and Dancing

Bratty Kids - there were lots of those on Friday. Victory and Dance - that's what sort of happened over the weekend. This week saw North Parramatta win Round 1 Outright! What an achievement. Furthermore, the YL ball was on Saturday night - and what a big night it was.

Friday. It was cold, windy, and the sky was grey - conditions favourable for staying home, and that's just about it. Unfortuately for me I volunteered to help out with the Careers Day for Boys 2005 programme, so into University I went at 8:30. I should have thought this out earlier - a bunch of school kids coming to University to hear about what the University has to offer - bad idea.

Careers Day for Boys is a program run by the Sydney University Union that allows local boys schools (there is an equivalent Careers Day for Girls, but guys can't volunteer for this... surprise, surprise) to send their Year 10 students to University to find out about Sydney University and what it has to offer. The program requires many volunteers, and luckily there were plenty.

To cut a long story short. I was a group leader and had to take the boys around to the various workshops... as well as keep them under control. I believe that I did a reasonably good job, but that's probably because I was armed with a bunch of chocolates to pacify the rabble. The group sizes were quite large (50 per group, 3 volunteer leaders per group) and as a result the boys were noisy, obnoxious and quite crude - but thankfully not to me.

The highlight of the day would have to be towards the beginning of the day. At registration a couple of 'derros' approached the desk to register. I asked them how they were doing and they told me that they were fine. After a bit of small talk one of the boys asked me: "Bro, where's the nearest Galaxy World". Being the honest and informative person that I am.. I told him that there was one further down the road on George Street. No point in converting them, really. After being given their name tags another derro asked me "Do we have to wear these things?". Again, being the honest and informative person that I am.. I told him "You can take it off at Galaxy World". Not too long afterwards their teacher approached them, took them outside and gave them a stern talk. The derros were sent away - and they probably went to Galaxy World.

Saturday Victory! Given that Friday wasn't great in a weather sense I wasn't too sure as to whether or not Cricket would be on. Friday night saw rain and the forecasts predicted rain on the Saturday. I was a little unhappy at the revelation as campaigning in the rain and being robbed of a victory sucks.

I woke up on Saturday morning and the sky was somewhat clear. It wasn't going to rain - good. Got dressed at 7am and headed out the door and it was very, very cold - bad. Why 7am? Well I headed out to Macquarie Fields to help hand out How-to-vote cards at Glenfield Public school. Campaigning was great - I met some great people (both Liberal and Labor supporters) and spoke to some at length. I stayed there for a couple of hours and then headed off to Harold Park West (cricket).

Cricket - it didn't really begin so well. No wickets had fallen after 10 overs and the batsmen looked quite comfortable, scoring runs at a steady rate. Then the tables turned. One of the batsmen lost sight of a ball bowled by Ajay and ducked - the ball was far from short and, as a result, crashed into the bastman's face. No helmet. Play stopped and we all came in to see if the batsman was ok. He clearly wasn't. The ball had hit him just under the right eye, his face was puffed up and there was blood everywhere. Shortly afterwards he was taken off the field by a couple of his mates and taken to hospital. Nasty stuff - i'm going to have to buy a helmet soon... don't want that happening to me.

After the incident the wickets started to fall. Ajay started ripping into the batting line up and as a result finished up with 7 wickets (almost all of them clean bowled). Quite a marvel to watch actually, as I was fielding at point. He would either rip out middle stump of clip the bails off. Very exciting indeed. The second innings started at approximately 3:15pm and the pattern was similar to how the 2nd day started - a great start followed by a collapse (The run out was mine). Victorious in Round 1, quite an omen for the rest of the season. Hopefully i'll score more than just the 1 run. The scorecard can be looked at here.

Finally, the YL Ball. Damn this is along bastard of a post. The Ball was held at the American club on Macquarie Street and kicked off at 7:30. There were stacks of people and it was an excellent opportunity to catch up with people. I haven't seen some YLs in quite a while, so it was good to see everyone again.

The Hon. Brendan Nelson MP made an excellent speech and i'll just relay a little bit of what he said. He was speaking about a bunch of primary school kids that he visited and the kids presented him with stories on "What makes mum mad". Brendan told us that one of the stories was "My mum gets mad when my sister leaves a big poo in the toilet". ROFL! The speech did get more serious and was quite comprehensive, but I must say... that was an excellent start.

Now, instead of crapping on about what happened that night i'll just attach a few photos. Enjoy.





No comments: