Sunday, December 04, 2005

Los Angeles - Day 3

Thursday, Nov 24 (Local)

Today started off in a similar way to yesterday, minus the morning walk. Woke up multiple times before my breakfast at Maccas. I must say that today was most interesting. Read on for some strange circumstances.

First stop on the sightseeing on day 3 was Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Something that i'm sure that the girls will love. The drive was choc-a-bloc with the powerhouses of fashion. You name it - it's there. Tiffany's, Versace, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Dior and mnore. The drive is only several blocks long but i'm sure that there are millions and millions and millions worth of stock in that little strip. Impo0rtant point - there was hardly anyone around when I arrived. There were a half-dozen people max. I guess that would be expected considering that it was Thanksgivings Day.

After my brush with fame it was off to Santa Monica. Why? Because a bus driver told me to.

After inspecting the area and taking a whole stack of photos something bizzare happened. A couple of busses arrived packed with girls. I didn't really think much of it until the busses started unloading. From a distance I could tell something strange was afoot. The girls that were being unloaded were wearing tiaras and sashes. That's right!

Upon closer inspection the sashes bore the names of states - the states from which each particular girl had come from. I believe that the first girl that passed me was Miss Connecticut, but I can't be sure. Anyhow, minutes later I was able to speak to one. That's right - I get to find out what is going on.

Miss Texas walked across the road and said hi. Now, i'm not too sure as to why she walked over - she either came over to chat or was looking for a particular store. Who knows. You guys can figure that one out. Anyhow, onto the chat. Miss Texas was lovely to chat to, she filled me in on what was happening. Los Angeles (Anaheim to be exact) is the scheduled finals week for Miss 2005. There are several age categories and each state (50 states) has one per category. There you go. Unfortunately I missed out on a photo op. Damn, i'm hopeless sometimes. It totally slipped my mind! Anyhow I wished her luck before moving on to explore more of Los Angeles.

After my brush with fame it was off to Santa Monica. Why? Because a bus driver told me to. Eh? What was that? Read for more deatils. On my way to Rodeo Drive the bus was literally empty (Route 20) and so the driver struck up a conversation. He told us a little about the area and suggested places to go. One of them was Santa Monica. He did mention, however, that Rodeo Drive was overrated. Obviously he wasn't lucky enough to be there when the beauty pageant came to town. Bwhaaha.

Santa Monica was somewhat livelier as the 3rd St promenade (shopping area #2 for the day) had some stores open. The stores here were much more accessible than the Rodeo Drive ones, in a financial sense. I ate lunch in an Italian restaurant, looked into several shops, bought a tie for my dad, and ventured down to the beach. In total, I probably spent approximately 2 hours in Santa Monica. Oh yea, the Miss 2005 girls were also out and about in Santa Monica. I saw, but did not speak to: Miss Maryland, Miss Pennsylvania, and Miss West Virginia. All Eastern States. A strange day indeed.

I didn't do terribly much afterwards. Ventured back to Hollywood to do some souvenier shopping via Union Station. Did I take the wrong train? Nope - I needed to go to the bathroom. Here is the scenario. Caught a "rapid" bus from Santa Monica to Westlake/Macarthur (or as a local told me "ghetto town"). As Union Station was closer than Hollywood/Highland I went to Union Station to use the bathroom. Note to the MTA Los Angeles people - you need toilets at train stations.

The only thing left till the end of the day was to watch television. Ghostbusters was on followed by the Apprentice. Admittedly, it was the first time that I watched the Apprentice. Reasonably interesting. Some of the business tasks that they had to do were quite intriguing. All I can say is that Adam sucked and deserved the boot!

Rodeo Drive



Miss 2005 girls disembarking

No comments: